If you have recently suffered the loss of a family member who is also part of the U.S. military and are struggling financially, you may be able to qualify for the Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC).

The Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a monthly benefit paid by the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) you can apply for to cash assistance. Learn more about it below.

VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
cash assistance dic
Back 5 of 5

DIC is tax-free and it’s provided to survivors (spouse, children or parents) of service members or of veterans who passed away. To qualify, the service member must have died on active duty, active or inactive training, from a disease or a service-related injury or suffered a complete disability due to service-related injuries and passed away as a consequence of this.

The amount you receive depends on a few different factors, including:

  •   The veteran’s VA disability rating
  •   Your relationship to the deceased veteran
  •   How long you were married
  •   If you have a disability and need assistance with regular daily activities
  •   Whether you have children and how many (children under 18 or between 18 and 23 and enrolled in a qualified school program)
  •   Your income

Depending on these factors, you can earn monthly payments for a certain period of time or indefinitely.

In order to apply, you will need to fill out a specific form, depending on your situation and family ties to the service member who passed away, and send it to the VA regional office.

For more information on qualifying or receiving your VA DIC benefits, visit the Department of Veteran Affairs online.

Back 5 of 5