The Section 8 program offers rent relief to eligible families. But once you’re in, what does it take to stay in the program, and what should you know if you decide to move? You wouldn’t want to lose your benefits just because you didn’t know all the rules.

By understanding how to maintain your eligibility and how portability works, you can make informed decisions that keep the roof over your head affordable, no matter where life takes you. Let’s break down the essentials.

Don’t Lose Your Vouchers! Tips for Renewing Section 8
Back 3 of 3

Staying in the Section 8 Program

To continue benefiting from the rent assistance that Section 8 provides, you need to follow a few key guidelines:

  • Annual Recertification: Each year, you’ll need to complete a recertification process with your local Public Housing Authority (PHA). This involves verifying your income and family composition and ensuring that you still qualify for housing assistance. Keep an eye on any paperwork and deadlines to avoid any interruptions in your assistance.
  • Reporting Changes: If there are changes in your household income or family size at any point, you must report these to your PHA promptly. Whether it’s a new job, a pay raise, or a family member moving out or in, keeping your information up-to-date is crucial.
  • Compliance with Lease Terms: Just like any rental agreement, staying in good standing with your landlord by paying rent on time, maintaining the property, and adhering to the lease terms is vital. This also means no serious or repeated lease violations.
  • Regular Inspections: Your rental unit must pass regular health and safety inspections conducted by your PHA to ensure it meets minimum standards of habitability.

What Happens If You Choose to Move?

The Section 8 program offers flexibility through “portability,” which means you can move and take your voucher with you, whether it’s within the same city or to a different state. Here’s what to know:

  • Notice of Intent to Vacate: Generally, you must give your landlord and PHA proper notice if you plan to move. This is typically a 30-day notice, but check your lease and local PHA’s requirements.
  • Search for New Housing: As long as the area you are moving to has a PHA that administers the Section 8 program, you can start searching for “apartments that accept Section 8 vouchers” in that area. It’s important to find a unit that fits within the PHA’s payment standards and where the landlord is willing to accept your voucher.
  • Portability Process: Contact your current PHA to begin the portability process. They will coordinate with the new PHA to transfer your voucher. This process involves paperwork and possibly new eligibility reviews, so allow plenty of time.
  • Approval and Move-In: Just like your initial application, your new rental must be approved by the PHA, and the unit must pass a housing quality standards inspection. Once everything is approved, you can move in and continue receiving your rent assistance.

Moving with a Section 8 voucher allows you to adapt to life’s changes, whether they’re job-related moves or other reasons for relocation. Your local PHA is there to help, so don’t hesitate to reach out with questions about staying in the program or moving with your voucher.

Back 3 of 3