If you have served your country through service in one of the branches of the U.S. military, you may qualify for a variety of grants specifically created to help you transition to civilian life and live a comfortable and self-sufficient life. Some federal grant programs for veterans may also result in veteran business grants, military spouse scholarships and grants, too.

1. Rural Veterans Coordination Pilot

According to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Office of Rural Health, approximately 4.4 million veterans who return from active military duties settle in rural communities. That presents a unique challenge for the area’s health care services to provide adequate and comprehensive medical and psychological care for this portion of the population.

Special Grants for Veterans: Housing, Health Care and More!
BACK 4 of 4

In addition, these people need services and support to transition to civilian life.

The Rural Veterans Coordination Pilot grant program funds initiatives to support veterans and their families who live in rural communities so they can live comfortably, receive the care they need and integrate back into their community.

2. Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program

These VA grants directly target the high numbers of homelessness that the veteran population faces. Funds from the VA’s Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program provide money to local organizations that develop housing opportunities and support programs for veterans who are homeless or at risk for homelessness.

These programs may include employment services, education and skill training, counseling and access to support housing and resources to find permanent housing. In addition, these grants may also fund programs for specialized groups within the veteran population, including homeless women veterans and LGBTQ+ veterans.

3. Disabled Veterans Housing Grants

Two of the best grants for disabled veterans include the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant and the Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant. Both grants come from the Department of Veteran Affairs and are given directly to disabled veterans and their families to establish comfortable and accommodating housing.

The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant allows you to buy, build or change a permanent home so that it fits your needs as a disabled veteran. You may qualify for a grant as large as $117,014 for 2024, but that number could change in years to come. Here are the requirements you must meet to qualify for this grant:

  • You must own the home or will own the home (if you’re in the buying process)
  • You must have a qualifying service-related disability, such as:
  • You have lost one or more limbs or the ability to use one or more limbs.
  • You have lost or lost use of a lower leg and have a lasting disease or injury due to this.
  • You are blind in both eyes, with 20/200 vision or less.
  • You have qualifying severe burns.
  • You have lost or lost the use of a foot or leg that impairs your balance or ability to walk without the use of an assistive device, such as braces, crutches, canes or a wheelchair.

The Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant to buy, build or update a permanent home. This grant can provide up to $23,444 for 2024, but that amount could change in years to come. In order to qualify for this grant, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You or a family member currently or will own the home
  • You have a qualifying service-related disability, such as:
  • You’ve lost both hands or your ability to use them.
  • You have certain qualifying severe burns.
  • You have a qualifying respiratory injury.

What’s great about these grants is that you don’t have to use all of the grant in one year. You can use money up to six different times throughout your lifetime to build, buy or upgrade your home to meet your needs. You can apply for either or both of these grants online with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, in person at the VA office or by mail.

BACK 4 of 4

Updated on 03/29/2023